Sunday 2 August 2015

Just the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie James

Genre:Contemporary Romance
Page Count: 296
Publication Date: October 7, 2008
Rating: 9/10
Price: $7.99

Goodreads Blurb:

No woman could resist him—except the one he wanted most...

Cool, Calm, Collected...

Nothing fazes Taylor Donovan. In the courtroom she never lets the opposition see her sweat. In her personal life, she never lets any man rattle her—not even her cheating ex-fiancé. So when she's assigned to coach People's "Sexiest Man Alive" for his role in his next big legal thriller, she refuses to fall for the Hollywood heartthrob's charms. Even if he is theJason Andrews.

Confident, Famous, Irresistible...

Jason Andrews is used to having women fall at his feet. When Taylor Donovan gives him the cold shoulder, he's thrown for a loop. She's unlike any other woman he's ever met: uninterested in the limelight, seemingly immune to his advances, and shockingly capable of saying no to him. She's the perfect challenge. And the more she rejects him, the more he begins to realize she may just be his perfect match.

Review:

Right from the blurb the book got me. It is just my kind of party. The start of the book.....I couldn't have said it better:

“Taylor Donovan may have been new to Los Angeles, but she certainly recognised a line of bullshit when she heard one.”

Love at first sight. 

So in the book you have your usual cocky arrogant slap-worthy spoiled and swoon worthy not to mention celebrity and the other small town girl.Yup, lots of those where they came from. Although I can't exactly say Chicago(where she's from)'s a small town or even a town for that matter. But y'all should know your geography so you don't need me to tell you (at least I think it's geography). Anyways, have you noticed that even though the guy is super slap-worthy, no girl(at least that I know of) in any romance book has actually slap "the guy"? Just saying it'd be cool.

Back to characters. The dude, Jason Andrews, is just what you expect, a little more even. Surprisingly without the underlying dark secret that almost all authors feels compelled that the character must have. So brava for the refreshments Julie James! Seriously, it's nice to have a change. There's a hint of satire in the way his character is written that I LOVE. I mean, come on, who doesn't love a good diss to the celebrity world? So I thoroughly enjoyed and swooned over the character despite his spoiled demeanour. Did I also mention I like how he has no dark story? Ya see what you get. I love that. 

What surprised me was the girl, Taylor Donavan. She not just the usual small town girl in books. I know this sounds mean, but she actually has a spine and a personality unlike a lot of other characters. She's sassy, sarcastic and most of all, she's a feminist. As a strong feminist myself, I love how she can go head to head with Jason, and get the last word. Which you don't see in a lot of romance books where the girl just goes weak around the guy. But no, not Taylor Donavan, she has the attitude and the sass that just makes you go:


She just got this "Don't Even"(get it? Donavan, don't even? Ha!" attitude going on that I aspire to be. I'd love her as a best friend. She's officially my fictional role model. I mean, have u seen her comebacks? Slam dunk is what I say. 

The plot isn't as predictable as most romance books. It's not the Maze Runner series but it has a few plot twists. One good thing about the plot is the antagonist. Unlike most romance bad guys, if there's even one(many times the antagonist is the inner struggle), has a clear motive, good plan(ish) and bascially very bad-guy-esque.

I know before I've said that I hate third person way of writing a book, I still do, but this book was the only exception. In most books my impression of the narrator is that person's a robot. And that takes away a lot from the book. But the narration in this book has a mind of its own. It's just in the way she narrates things and the occasional witty comments that I never expect and that really peaked my interested and made me go:

          

So kudos to you.

The ending is those things that just give you the sigh of satisfaction and a little twinge of lemon because the book is over. 


There are no books in the series but every single book by Julie James just landed on my TBR list. So I thoroughly enjoyed the this book and are looking forward to getting to her other books. Also, Julie James, if you ever read this, you just became on of my heroes.
Girlpower!

No comments:

Post a Comment